Class of 1897 Gateway

These pillars were created in 1891, and were once part of the original entrance to Purdue, located on the southeast side of Memorial Mall. During their twenty-fifth reunion in 1923, members of the Class of 1897 carved their graduating year into the pillars. In the mid-1950s, the gateway and pilllars were removed to widen the drive for automobiles. In 1991, with money raised by the Class of 1936 and children and grandchildren of the Class of 1897, the pillars were refurbished and relocated across from Stewart Center on the east side of Memorial Mall.

Building Map...


The Purdue Arboretum is a collaboration between the Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture and Physical Facilities Grounds Department

Purdue Arboretum, 625 Agriculture Mall Dr, West Lafayette, IN, 47907
© 2024 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Integrity Statement | Copyright Complaints | Maintained by the Purdue Arboretum
Contact Purdue Arboretum at for accessibility issues with this page | Accessibility Resources | Contact Us